This two-day wilderness adventure combines the action of hiking past canyons, impressive waterfalls and being pulled in a cable ferry across a glacial river. On the other hand enjoy the tranquility of these great highlands. Accompanied by Icelandic pack horses that carry some of the luggage and a passionate local guide with great knowledge of the area. See historic sites, experience the authenticity and breathe the wild. You are more likely to meet reindeer than humans on this trek.
Clothing for the hike:
- T-shirt or vest, wool or fleece
- Woolen socks
- Warm sweater (e.g. Icelandic wool sweater) or fleece jacket
- Light, quick-dry hiking pants
- Hiking shoes
For the rucksack:
- Woolen undergarments (top and long-johns)
- Extra outer top (such as a thick jumper or a light down jacket)
- An extra pair of woolen socks (we recommend wool with terry). Never wear cotton liners!
- Proper Icelandic woolen mittens
- A woolen cap, balaclava, earband or similar
- Light rainwear (jacket and pants), e.g. Goretex
- Rucksack. Recommended sizes for longer trips are 55–65 liters for ladies and 60–75 liters for men.
- A light sleeping bag, with a down or fiber filling. Reccommended temperature tolerance is 0°C for comfort and at least -10°C for extreme conditions.
- Mattress for insulation
- Sandals or sneakers, for wading rivers
And the little extras:
- Toilet tissue
- A very small towel
- Fully guided tour
- All food and utensils for cooking and meals
- Safety equipment
- Tents and travel from Sturluflöt farm to the Wilderness Center
- Extra night before or after the tour at the Wilderness Center.
- A pleasant dinner together the night before departure. Your guide will talk about highlights from local history as well as explaining some aspects of nature which are characteristic for the area and/or the wilderness.
- Get in touch to book an extra night and dinner or call us on tel. +354 440 8822.
“Thank you so much for everything. We had such wonderful visit. Both here at the Wilderness Center and up on the plateau for our overnight hike. Denni is an excellent and fearless guide, and we saw amazing sights.Thank you!”
Josh, Brooklyn NY,USA
“”Thank you for the wonderful hiking trip, I learned so much!
Coming home to the Center with delicious meals made it even better :-)”
Tamar, Wisconsin, USA
“Our amazing two day hike and the entire stay was the absolute highlight of our trip to Iceland. Thank you for share your love and deep knowledge of the area. Thank you Spenna the packhorse as well!”
Jennifer, NYC, USA